Tarte au Citron – recipe from Beverley Glock Cookery School
See Brushetta for your Valentine’s Meal Starter
See Tarragon Chicken for your Valentine’s Meal Main Course
A classic French desert, literally lemon tart made with a sweet, rich shortcrust pastry. If you don’t have any baking beans then line the pastry base with baking parchment and scatter over dried peas, beans or chickpeas instead.
Ingredients: for 1 large or 8 small tarts
225g plain flour
300ml double cream
6 lemons – juice and zest
300g caster sugar
You will need …….Weighing scales 2 Mixing bowls Teaspoon Tartlet tins Rolling pin Baking beans Baking parchment Whisk Chopping board Sharp knife Zester or grater
How to make tarte au citron…….WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Rub in the flour and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, stir in the sugar, add the egg and mix to a dough, if it’s a little dry add a teaspoon or two of cold water.
2. Roll out the pastry. Grease 8 mini tartlet tins or one large tart tin. Line the tins with the pastry and put into the freezer for 20-30 minutes or the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200oc/gas 7/AGA roasting oven. Remove the tartlet tins from the fridge or freezer, line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, if you have an AGA go straight to step 4. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes for mini tartlet tins or 30-40 minutes for a large one. Remove from the oven and discard the baking beans and liner. Leave to cool.
4. Beat together the eggs, cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar in a bowl until smooth and thick, pour into the tartlet tins.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is starting to set, (AGA – roasting oven, on oven floor,) if it needs longer to set place some tinfoil over the top to prevent the pastry from burning. Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.