Tarragon Chicken – recipe from Beverley Glock Cookery School
See Brushetta for your Valentine’s Meal Starter
See Tarte au Citron for your Valentine’s Meal Dessert
Ingredients: for 4 people
1 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts/thighs/legs on the bone
200g shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8 chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
250ml chicken stock, hot
120ml dry white wine
250g crème fraiche
1 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
You will need.. Weighing scales Small bowl Chopping board
Sharp knife 2 x saucepans A soup ladle
1. Melt the butter with the oil in a large oven proof casserole. Season the chicken pieces and add these, skin side down and fry until golden brown on the oven floor of the roasting oven (around 4 mins). Turn them over and brown the other side.
2. Remove the chicken and add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and sauté gently.
3. Keeping the chicken skin side up, place back into the pan, cover with the shallots, garlic, mushrooms, herbs and seasoning. Add the stock and wine and bring to the boil.
4. Cover and transfer to the simmering oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove from the oven, carefully lift out the chicken and transfer to a plate, bring the liquid to the boil and transfer to the roasting oven, directly onto the oven floor with the lid off and boil until the sauce has reduced to half.
6. Bring back to the simmering plate, add the crème fraiche and tarragon and cook gently until thickened. Adjust the seasoning and serve poured over the chicken.
Serve with mashed potato and green vegetables.