Make sure you read through the recipe before you start.
Makes around 30 truffles
150g Dark chocolate (70% or above)
150ml whipping cream
3 tbsp of good quality cocoa powder (such as Green & Blacks)
90g chopped toasted flaked almonds or pistachio
10g desiccated coconut
50g milk or white chocolate for coated truffles
For adults only:
Adding alcohol to your truffles gives them as extra kick; try cherry brandy, Grand Marnier or your friends favourite tipple.
Petit four cases – think Christmas gold, sliver or red
Noodle boxes (available online from Amazon or chocolate boxes)
Ribbon and small gift tags
Truffles must be kept in the fridge and eaten within 4 days.
- Whip the cream with an electric hand whisk until stiff and fluffy. Do not over mix or you will end up with butter.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, place in a clean bowl over a bain marie of hot water, you can use either a porringer or two bowls placed on top of each other but do not allow the chocolate to get wet. Gently melt the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is fully melted if you are adding alcohol, add this now.
- Pour your chocolate into the whipped cream mixing vigorously before the chocolate sets so that you create a lovely chocolate, heavenly mixture.
- Place the truffle mixture in the fridge for 20 mins to harden.
- While you’re waiting for your truffles to set place your chosen topping on a lined baking tray. Also make ready your petit four cases.
- When your truffle mixture is set take a heaped teaspoon of truffle mixture and either roll the mixture gently into a ball shape (be warned the chocolate will start melting at the touch of your hand) or leave as a rocky lump which you can then roll using the spoon to help guide your truffle until it is fully covered in your chosen topping. Place into petit four cases and then into your chosen packaging and put in the fridge.
- If using melted chocolate as a topping then use a spoon and dip your truffle into the melted chocolate until covered and leave to set on parchment paper. When set place in a petit four case and your chosen box, store in the fridge until you are ready to deliver your delicious gift.