An easy middle eastern couscous salad.
250ml vegetable stock
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
300g courgettes, sliced on the slant
300g small vine ripened tomatoes
250g halloumi cheese thickly sliced and then halved lengthways
For the dressing:
125ml olive oil
3 tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
0.5 tsp sugar
1. Tip the couscous into a bowl and pour over the boiling stock and mix well. Cover and leave for 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile tip all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
3. Fluff up the couscous with a fork, stir in the chickpeas and mix in half of the dressing. Mix well and pile on a large serving dish.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the courgette slices over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until dark golden brown. Lift out onto kitchen paper.
5. Now put the tomatoes cut side down into the pan and cook for another couple of minutes until tinged brown on the underside. Top the couscous with the courgettes and then the tomatoes.
6. If the pan is dry, pour in a little more oil and heat it up and then add the halloumi strips and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning them over from time to time until crisped and sizzled brown. Pile on top of the tomatoes and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Source: BBC Good Food Magazine