110g stem ginger in syrup (8 pieces)
175g self raising flour
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
110g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp black treacle
175g brambly apple, peeled, cored and chopped small
6 tbsp double cream
175g brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Butter 8 small (approx 175ml) pudding basins.
2. Put the stem ginger into a food processor and blitz for 10 seconds.
3. Sift the flour, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Then add the eggs, butter, sugar and treacle and mix together with an electric whisk. Gradually add 175ml of warm water and mix until you have a smooth consistency. Fold in the apple and stem ginger.
4. Divide the mixture between the pudding basins, place them on a baking tray and bake for 35 minutes, or until they feel firm and springy. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning them out of the tins.
5. To make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a small pan and heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved.
6. Serve the puddings and pour over the toffee sauce, serve with cream, creme fraiche or ice cream.