This was a recipe from our childrens’ school. They are really simple & cheap to make and to top it all off they taste delicious too!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
What you’ll need:
250g of butter softened
140g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
1.Cream the butter & sugar in a bowl – you can do this by hand or use a hand held electric whisk. Add the yolk, vanilla essence and briefly beat to combine.
2. Sift the flour and stir until the mixture is well combined. You may need to get your hands in at the end to give it a really good mix.
3. Sprinkle a work surface with flour, divide the dough in half and roll out until about 0.5cm in thickness.
4. Use different shaped cookie cutters to cut the biscuits and use a small spatula to move to a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Decorate each cookie with smarties.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 (fan) / 160 / gas mark 4.
7. Refridgerate biscuits for 15 minutes to prevent spreading when baking.
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 1 minute before moving them to a cooling rack.