Delicious, light and fruity cakes from Fay Ripley, a great alternative to cupcakes.
What you need:
115g unsalted butter
30g plain flour
130g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
100g ground almonds
3 large egg whites
Grated zest of 1 & 1/2 lemons
100g raspberries, fresh or frozen
1. Preheat oven to 200C or 180C (fan)
2. Melt the butter and use it to grease a 6-hole muffin tin (use a heart shaped muffin tin for extra show-off value!)
3. Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Add the almonds and mix together.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage, then add to the flour mix.
5. Add the lemon zest, pour in the butter and fold together with a metal spoon.
6. When combined, pour mixture into the tins, then drop 2 or 3 raspberries on to each cake.
7. Bake for 20 – 25 mins. Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then turn out and leave to cool.
8. To serve, dust with icing sugar.
These keep really well for up to two days in an airtight container (if you can resist!)