As the season for School Open Days gets under way, Simon Detre, Deputy Head (Academic) at The Beacon boys’ prep school in Amersham and father of three, suggests what to ask to help you make the right school choice for your child
Questions for the head / admissions team / teachers
- What made you choose this school yourself?
- What values are most important at this school?
- How does this school educate the whole child?
- Would you send your own children here?
- How do you settle new children in to school life?
- How do you stretch the most able / support those needing extra help?
- What are the opportunities for children to learn outside the classroom?
- Have you / will you be investing in new technology – for example VR (Virtual Reality)?
- How do you prepare your pupils for entry to senior schools? What is your track record?
- What are your wraparound care provisions to help working parents?
Questions for pupils
- What do you like most about your school?
- What is your favourite subject and why?
- How easy was it to make friends?
- What extra-curricular activities are you involved in?
- How much homework do you get?
- What does the school do to help you if you have any worries or concerns?
The Beacon is a leading independent prep school for boys aged 4-13 in Amersham, Buckinghamshire
The next Open Day is on Saturday 5 October, 10am until 12noon. To reserve a place, simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01494 432764