A nice variation on chilli
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
500g pork mince
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chipolate paste
400g can of beans (pinto, black eyes peas, black) drained and rinsed
400g can of chopped tomatoes
250g sweet potatoes (i large or 2 small) peeled and cut into large dice
Salt & Black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole and add the onion and red pepper. Fry over a low to medium hear for several minutes until just staring to soften, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the pork mince and stir until its well browned. Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano and chipolate paste, then tip in the beans and chopped tomatoes.
3. Pour 400ml of water into the pan, then add the diced potatoes and push them into the chilli.
4. Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pan. Simmer the chilli for half an hour, then take the lid off the pan and simmer for another 15 minutes to reduce the sauce. Taste and check the seasoning.
5. Serve with brown rice, grated cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, fresh corriander and lime wedsge – as many of these as you like.
Source: Davina Macall, 5 weeks to sugar free