This is one of my favourite desserts. Ice cream in minutes and a delicious pecan tart – yum, yum 🙂
for the ice cream
4 bananas, cut into smallish chunks
150ml fresh ready made custard
75ml double cream
4 tablespoons of bought toffee sauce (dulce de leche)
for the tarts
6 tinned pear halves, drained
375g ready rolled puff pastry
2-3 tablespoons of bought toffee sauce (dulce de leche)
1 egg beaten
75g pecan nuts, broken in half
icing sugar for dusting
1. Freeze the chopped bananas in a sealed plastic sandwich bag for at least 2 hours until completely frozen through. This can be done days in advance.
2. Preheat the oven to 200/180 (fan)/gas 6
3. For the tarts slice each pear into 3 wedges and pat dry with kitchen paper.
4. Cut the pastry into 6 circles about 10cm in diameter. Place ona lightly greased baking tray and score a small border of about 5mm to 1cm around the inside of each one.
5. Put about a tablespoon of toffee sauce in the centre of each piece of pastry and then arrange the pears on top. Brush the top of the pears and pastry edges with the egg, scatter over the peacans and then dust each one fairy generously with icing sugar.
6. Place in the oven for 12 to 15 minute until the pastry is puffed up and golden around the edges.
7. Literally just before serving, place the frozen bananas in a food processor with the custard, double cream and toffee sauce. Blitz until you have a smooth ice cream and serve straight away with the tarts.
Source: In the Mood for Entertaining, Jo Pratt