Simon Detre, Deputy Head (Academic) at The Beacon boys’ prep school in Amersham and father of three, gives his suggestions on getting the most out of the visit to help you make the right school choice for your child.
Before the Open Day
- Ask for the school’s prospectus to be sent to you (or view it online) and have a look at their recent inspection report, academic results and read any third-party school reviews.
- Chat to any current parents. Find out their likes and dislikes.
- Visit the school’s website and maybe follow their social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) – this will give you a great idea of the day-to-day happenings at the school.
Question to Ask the Teachers During the School Tour
- What values are most important at this school?
- How does this school educate the whole child?
- What is the wellbeing focus at this school?
- How do you stretch the most able / support those needing extra help?
- What made you choose this school yourself?
- Would you send your own children here?
- How do you promote and support safeguarding in school?
- How do you settle new children in to school life?
- What are your maximum class sizes?
- What are your wraparound care provisions to help working parents?
- How do you support both your pupils’ wellbeing and learning through self-isolation periods?
- What are the opportunities for children to learn outside the classroom?
- What is your focus on Creative Arts – e.g. Cooking, Art and Design Technology?
- How often do the children play Sports at the school?
- What are the Drama and Music opportunities here?
- What extra-curricular opportunities do you offer your pupils?
- Have you / will you be investing in new technology – for example VR (Virtual Reality)?
- What range of trips (day and residential) do you offer your pupils?
- Does the school offer any bursaries or scholarships?
- How do you prepare your pupils for entry to senior schools? What is your track record?
Question to Ask the Pupils During the School Tour
- What do you like most about your school?
- What is your favourite subject and why?
- How easy was it to make friends?
- What extra-curricular activities are you involved in?
- How much homework do you get?
- What does the school do to help you if you have any worries or concerns?
The Beacon – an independent prep school for boys aged 3-13 located in Amersham, Buckinghamshire is hosting an Open Day on Saturday 25 September: 09:00 – 12:00.
Appointments are available 09:00, 10:00 and 11:00. To book an appointment, please click here
firstname.lastname@example.org / 01494 432764