Tried this recipe back in the summer and my kids love it! We make it almost weekly 🙂
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
275g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 large free range eggs
4 tablespoons milk
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
For the crunchy topping:
175g granulated sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC, (140C Fan). Butter and line a traybake tin (30cm x 23cm x 4cm).
- Put all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the centre.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack set over a tray (to catch the drips from the topping).
- To make the topping, mix the sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl, spoon the mixture over the cake while it is still warm.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into about 30 pieces.
This cake gets the thumbs up with everyone in my house 🙂 So easy to make – just put everything in a bowl, mix then pop in the oven. I’ve made this cake loads of times and it always turns out the same – lemony, moist and delicious! The fact that it’s a traybake cake means that it goes a bit further, although one square is never enough with my kids. It tastes so good while still warm from the oven but also lasts a few days in a tupperware. I’d definitely recommend this cake to bakers and non-bakers.