A festive strudel 🙂
4-5 small sweet eating apples
Juice of 0.5 lemon
4 sheets filo pastry
150g ginger nut biscuits
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g dark muscovado sugar
60g caster sugar
1 handful driend cranberrys
egg wash made with 1 whisked egg mixture with a little water
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas 4
2. Peel & slice the apples and put them in a bowl of cold water with a little lemon juice to stop them going brown.
3. Melt the butter in the microwave (covered) and keep warm.
4. Put the biscuits into a plastic bag, squeeze out the air and bash with a rolling pin until you have crumbs.
5. Cut the fill pastry into 30 x 50cm sheets with a knife. Mix the biscuit crumbs, cinnamon and dark muscovado sugar together.
6. Lay the first sheet of filo pastry on a clean tea towel on your work surface and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle over a third of the biscuit mixture. Lay another sheet of filo pastry on top, brush with butter and sprinkle again with a third of the biscuit mixture. Repeat with the third sheet and top everything with the 4th sheet.
7. Drain your apples well and toss with the caster sugar and dried cranberries. Spread them out along one edge of the top sheet of filo pastry. Brush the opposite edge with a little water. Starting at the edge with the apple mixture on, gently lift the edge of the tea towel and use it to help you roll the pastry up lengthways like a swiss roll – the apples will end up at the centre. once its rolled up, press your strudel together gently.
8. Brush with egg wash and speinkle with demara sugar. Place it on a baking try and bake in a pre heated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.