Lockdown has meant that we’ve been baking a lot recently. We always seem to have an abundance of over ripe bananas which are perfect for banana bread.
Here’s our favourite banana bread recipes starting with Fay Ripley’s Chocolate Banana Bread. This is a great chocolate banana bread, which is really easy to make and the results are delicious…
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
130g softened butter
150g light brown sugar
3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large free range eggs
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g chocolate chunks
3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree C (fan) and butter/line a loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla and eggs then whisk together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl and mix well. Fold in the chocolate and milk.
- Transfer into loaf tin and bake for 50 – 60 minutes till risen. Cool slightly in the tin before turning out.
- Enjoy! Tastes yummy when still warm
Worrying about my expanding waist line and lack of exercise 😉 I searched around for a healthier banana bread recipe. This recipe from the Crave & Cook Blog is delicious. Again very easy to make, moist and the children liked it too. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative this is a good one….
3 ripe bananas
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup of whole wheat flour (I didn’t have this so used plain flour)
1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp coconut sugar
½ cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 dash of salt (I didn’t add any salt)
- Preheat the oven to fan 170 degrees C
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix together the melted coconut (at room temperature) with the eggs (also at room temp) and the vanilla extract – I whisked the eggs ebfore adding to the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Mix in with the dry ingredients until just combined and transfer to a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and when you prick in the middle of the bread the tooth pick comes out clean.
We hope you enjoy these recipes. Please do get in touch (by commenting below or emailing us) if you can recommend any good recipes. Happy baking!