PLUS TOP QUESTIONS TO ASK AT A SCHOOL OPEN DAY….
With restrictions continuing to ease across the UK, many schools are now able to safely reopen their doors to future parents and host on-site School Open Days.
If you’re planning an in-person visit soon, Simon Detre, Deputy Head (Academic) at The Beacon boys’ prep school in Amersham and father of three, gives his suggestions on getting the most out of the visit to help you make the right school choice for your child.
Before the Open Day
- Ask for the school’s prospectus to be sent to you (or view it online) and have a look at their recent inspection report, academic results and read any third-party school reviews.
- Chat to any current parents. Find out their likes and dislikes.
- Visit the school’s website and maybe follow their social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) – this will give you a great idea of the day-to-day happenings at the school.
Question to Ask During the School Tour
- What values are most important at this school?
- How does this school educate the whole child?
- What is the wellbeing focus at this school?
- How do you stretch the most able / support those needing extra help?
- What made you choose this school yourself?
- Would you send your own children here?
- How do you promote and support safeguarding in school?
- How do you settle new children in to school life?
- What are your maximum class sizes?
- How would you describe your online learning provision?
- How did you support both your pupils’ wellbeing and learning through recent lockdowns?
- What are the opportunities for children to learn outside the classroom?
- What is your focus on Creative Arts – e.g. Cooking, Art and Design Technology?
- How often do the children play Sports at the school?
- What are the Drama and Music opportunities here?
- Have you / will you be investing in new technology – for example VR (Virtual Reality)?
- What range of trips (day and residential) do you offer your pupils?
- Does the school offer any bursaries or scholarships?
- How do you prepare your pupils for entry to senior schools? What is your track record?
- What are your wraparound care provisions to help working parents?
The Beacon, an independent prep school for boys aged 3-13 in Amersham, Buckinghamshire is hosting an in-person Open Day on Saturday 22 May – 09:00 – 16:00.
To reserve your socially-distanced tour appointment, please visit http://bit.ly/TheBeaconMayOpenDay2021.
Telephone: 01494 432764