Healthy twist on your classic lasagne.
1 aubergine, sliced and chopped into bite sized pieces
350g mushrooms (any type), roughly chopped
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tin tomatoes (400g)
1 jar roasted peppers (approx. 400g), drained and chopped
35g unsalted butter
40g plain flour
300 – 350 ml milk
150 – 200g spinach (frozen), chopped
30g cheddar cheese
Lasagne sheets, approx. 6, depending on size of dish
1. Preheat oven to 200C/Fan 180C
2. Place the aubergine and mushrooms on roasting trays and drizzle with oil, ensure vegetable are well coated. Roast for approx. 30 minutes until golden brown and soft.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion gently until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and peppers, season with black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile make the cheese sauce – melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Slowly start to add the milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Continue stirring and add the cheese until the sauce is smooth.
6. Defrost the spinach in the microwave (cook on high for 1 – 2 minutes), then drain well to remove and excess moisture and chop the spinach and add to cheese sauce.
7. Spoon half the aubergine/mushrooms into a large ovenproof dish, pour half the tomato sauce over the top, next add the lasagne sheets to cover and top with half of the cheese/spinach sauce. Repeat the layering and top the final layer with some grated cheese.
8. Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Serve with a green salad!