340g uncooked pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)
2 cloves of garlic or 1 ½ teaspoon lazy garlic
4 – 5 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
2 – 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
1 ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large or 2 small ripe medium avocado
Tip: because avocados oxidise quickly after you slice them, this sauce is best served immediately. If you do have leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Crush garlic cloves if using.
1. Add the pasta to pan of boiling water and cook according to the instructions on the package. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
2. Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh and 1 tablespoon of water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another tablespoon of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot.
4. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently re-warm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
5. Top with lemon zest, pepper and fresh basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Dinner Made Simple