This soup is Super good for you and all your family, serve it for supper, lunch or on a cold winter’s day, why not send them to school with a flask of nice warm soup. Pack it up with some crunchy seeded bread sticks for them to dip in – or a nice piece of crusty bread for yourself. For an extra taste sensation add some chopped coriander before serving.
1 tbsp oil
1 sweet potato
1 stick of celery
1 inch fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp tomato puree
60 g red lentils*
1/2 cup orange juice
300g fresh veg stock
1. Put the oil in a medium saucepan.
2. Peel the onion, carrot, parsnip and sweet potato and trim off the ends. Then chop up into chunks about 2cm long.
3. Wash the celery and chop into chunks.
4. Peel and slice the ginger into small pieces and crush the garlic.
5. Get a grown-up to help for this bit – heat the oil gently and put the chopped up vegetables into the pan.
6. Stir gently then cover with a lid and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
7. Add the tinned tomatoes, puree, red lentils, orange juice and vegetable stock.
8. Stir well and turn up the heat so that the mixture starts to boil.
9. Once it has boiled, turn down the heat, cover the pan and let it simmer for about 30 mins. Check the soup and give it a stir every 10 mins.
10. Allow to cool a bit then puree in a food processor.