COOKIES HERB ROLLS
Summer is here and lots of herbs are at their very best. Have you ever noticed how intensely flavoured these herbs are now in comparison to the winter months? So let’s make the most of them! Liven up your chicken dishes by adding some basil or fresh oregano or spice up your yummy tuna salad with coriander, make a tomato and cucumber salad with balsamic vinegar and basil leaves, good on strawberries as well. Get out your rugs and picnic basket (and maybe a brolly and your waterproof mac and take these fabulous herb rolls on a trip down to the river or the park. Whatever your plans this summer have a lovely one.
Here is a very quick and useful recipe to use with or without children helping. These rolls freeze really well (if frozen on the day they were made) and make a yummy addition to any light supper e.g. cheese board, salads, dips or as an alternative to your average loaf.
Herb Rolls (enough to make 4 rolls)
220g of self-raising flour or wholemeal flour
Handful of fresh chopped herbs (I always use some chives and add one or two of parsley, basil, coriander, or dill)
115g of cottage cheese
3tbls milk to bind
Handful of grated cheese (optional)
• Pre-heat the oven to 180° (fan-assisted)
• Weigh out the flour into a mixing bowl.
• Add in the chopped herbs and mix together.
• Mix in the cottage cheese and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
• Add the milk to make a firm dough – if the mixture is too sticky add a little more flour.
• Split the mixture into 4 and using your hands make into balls.
• Pile the grated cheese on the top of each ball
• Put on a greased baking tray and into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until brown.
• Once cooked allow to cool on a wire rack.
• Delicious served with soup, or for lunch filled with slices of cheese and beetroot.
COOKIES are running special taster sessions on Wednesday 28th & Thursday 29th August. The taster sessions will focus mainly on various baking activities both savoury and sweet. The children will have fun making a variety of items using seasonal summer ingredients during the 2 1/2 hour session. Call 07912 371539 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.