A cool Halloween / kids party idea, thanks to Blossoming Cooks for the recipe – no cake pop maker required! Makes about 20 spider pops 🙂
270g unsalted butter
120g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
Zest & juice of 1 orange
120g self raising flour
3 tsp cocoa powder
100g icing sugar
Cake pop or lolli pop sticks
1. Preheat the over to 180 / 160 fan / gas 4. Grease and line a cake tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat together 120g of the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs until combined. If the mixture looks to be curdling slightly, add 1 tablespoon of the flour.
3. Stir in the orange zest.
4. Add the cocoa to the flour and then add this to the mixture. Fold together until you have a smooth batter. pour into the cake tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until risen. Cool completely then bend into tiny crumbs.
5. Make the icing by beating the remaining butter, orange juice and icing sugar together until smooth.
6. Mix a small amount of the icing with the cake crumbs and then use your fingers to squeeze into small cake balls.
7. To decorate – melt some chocolate and dip the end of the lollipop stick into it. Push the stick about half way into the cake and put in the freezer upside down to harden for 30 minutes.
8. Once hardened, dip the whole cake ball into the melted chocolate, twirl to shake off any excess and decorate quickly with edible eyes & sprinkles plus liquorice pieces for the legs before the coating sets.
Store the cake pops in the fridge or freeze on greaseproof paper.