Delicious savoury pancakes!
Basic Pancake recipe:
125g plain flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Cheesy pancake recipe:
Pancakes (as above)
2 leeks, trimmed
150g baby spinach
4 slices of good quality ham, (honey roasted is good), cut in half
20g Gruyere, finely grated
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre, add the milk and egg to the well. Gradually whisk until the mixture is smooth. Rest for 30 minutes.
2. Place a medium frying pan over a medium heat and rub the pan with a little oil. Pour in a little of the batter and rotate the pan so that the batter evenly covers the pan with a thin layer.
3. ashen the pancake begins to set, loosen the pancake and flip over. Cook for a further 30 seconds or more, then transfer to a warm plate.
4. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Cheesy pancakes method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200C and butter a shallow baking dish.
2. Cut leeks in half (lengthways), wash thoroughly and add to a pan of boiling water. Cook for approx 3 minutes, or until just cooked. Drain the leeks and squeeze dry with kitchen paper.
3. Add the spinach to the boiling water, as son as it has collapsed, drain and squeeze dry on kitchen paper.
4. Take the first pancake, place half a ham slice in the middle, add a spoonful of leeks and spinach then add a lump of camembert. Roll up the pancake and place in baking dish. Repeat until all the pancakes are filled.
5. Sprinkle the pancakes with grated gruyere and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Savoury – Creamy roast chicken with crispy bacon and mushroom (use half-fat Creme Fraiche for a healthier option), Bolognaise or Chilli, Spinach and Ricotta or Garlic Mushrooms.
Sweet – Chocolate spread (we recommend Nutella) and fresh fruit of your choice, raspberry jam and whipped cream, your favourite flavour of ice cream, maple syrup, and the traditional lemon and sugar.