Ingredients: (4 portions)
200g other vegetables, eg. onion, garlic, celery
2 vegetable stock cubes
2 pints (1136 ml) water
1. Peel the garlic and onion with the help of an adult.
2. *Peel remaining vegetables and chop the garlic and onion. Chop potatoes in half.
3. Chop carrots, potatoes and celery into small pieces using a table knife. When chopping the potato halves, place the flat side down on the chopping board to prevent the potato slipping.
4. Put all the vegetables into a big saucepan.
5. Sprinkle some herbs and add some black pepper to the saucepan.
6. *Fry the vegetables for 5 minutes in a little oil until slightly softened.
7. While the vegetables are softening, crumble the stock cubes into a measuring jug.
8. *Add boiling water to the stock cubes.
9. Stir stock with a fork until stock cubes have dissolved.
10. *Add stock to saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.
11. Allow soup to cool a little, then blend with the help of an adult.
*Please note that steps 2, 6, 8 and 10 should be performed by an adult or older child.
Top Banana Tips:
Young children can do many of the above steps. Older children or adults should do those marked with an asterix. Remember to keep young children away from the hob and sharp knives.
Making soup is fun in a group. Place a big pot in the middle that everyone can add their vegetables to. This is a great way to use some of the carrots you have grown in the garden.
Thanks to Top Banana Cooking for providing the recipe.
For more information on Top Banana cooking parties and sessions please see website: http://topbananacooking.com