Serves: 2 servings, 160 calories per portion
2 small heads of broccoli, with stems
1 medium shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil,
1 tablespoon ginger
990mls vegetable broth
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
60mls coconut milk
Add a pinch of dry chilli
1. Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Remove broccoli florets from the stems and cut into small pieces. Dice stems and set aside. Toss with ½ tablespoon olive oil and spread into a single layer on a sheet tray. Roast until broccoli is tender and starting to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. While the broccoli is roasting, heat olive oil over medium low in a medium stock pot. Add in sliced shallots. Cook for roughly 4 minutes then add in the ginger – grated, cooking for one more minute. Stir in the broccoli stems followed by 3 cups of broth, lemon zest, juice, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until stems are tender and roasted broccoli is done.
3. Add in the roasted broccoli, reserving a few smaller pieces for topping the soup. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and puree the soup..
4. Transfer the soup back to the pan if using a blender and add in the coconut milk. Heat the soup over low until ready to serve.
5. Divide soup into two bowls and top with the saved roasted broccoli, sesame seeds, and extra coconut milk.
Recipe supplied by Claudine’s Kitchen