Delicious succulent family – a great dish for all of the family. Source: Mary Berry – Cook Now, Eat Later
about 1 tbsp sunflower oil
about 25g (1oz) butter
900g (2lbs) good quality sausages
450g (1lb) red onions thinly sliced
2 large white onions about 450g (2lbs) in weight, thinly sliced
225ml (8fl oz) red wine
50ml (2fl oz) red or white wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
about 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ Fan 180 C/ gas 6
2. Heat the oil and butter over a high heat in a large frying pan and brown the sausages evenly. Lift the sausage out and drain on kitchen paper.
3. Pour off the excess fat so that about 2 tbsp remain in the pan. Add the onions to the pan and cook gently stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until soft.
4. Add the wine, vinegar, sugar and seasoning to the onions. Bring to the boil and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes. Transfer to an oven proof dish.
5. Arrange the sausages in a single layer ontop of the onions and cook uncovered int he preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Stir the onions occasionally, they should be soft.
6. Scatter with lots of parsley and served with mash potato.